Monday, February 11, 2008

Returning...

I've just come back from Sweden. Ten days, but it feels like longer. Though as always with the familiar one quickly settles back into such places. But returning I didn't feel any upwelling of sentiment or emotion for being back in Bristol. That's not to say that I don't like the place. Or that I haven't had many good times here. I hope to in the future too. But a car driving past me on my way back to the house contained someone shouting loudly, let's use proclaiming, "I'm back, I'm back!". Now I don't know if this was really someone returning after a long journey away, but the event seemed to represent to me the difference in a lot of people's attitude to home, their strong attachment to it and reluctance to leave, and my lack of those feelings. I can find good things about the places I've lived, but none with enough that makes me feel as if I want to stay, to "put down roots". I don't know what that says about me or my environs. Maybe I'm just not ready yet to settle down, maybe I like new experiences too much, maybe I get bored easily. What it does tell me is I need to get out more. Out of the city, out of the country. See new things. Motion towards that is also motion away. Enough for now.

No comments: